The QSC is one of eight diversity commissions under the Associated Students of the University of Washington.
We are a student-run, student-led, umbrella organization for gay, bisexual, lesbian, trans*, intersex, and queer students on campus. The ASUW Queer Student Commission’s mission is to…
- Support, educate, and cultivate an accountable, inclusive environment for queer / GLBTI UW students
- Provide non-heteronormative, anti-racist, non-ableist, all-ages, sex-positive, and non-sexist programming, services, and atmospheres
- Work to increase acceptance of queer students
- Promote solidarity within the queer community, celebrating our intersecting identities
We accomplish this by organizing, funding, sponsoring, and endorsing programs and projects that share these principles.
- Create and adapt programming that fosters a positive and anti-oppressive atmosphere so that it is appealing, relevant, and successful in drawing membership from all portions of the queer community.
- Event examples include: Annual ASUW Drag Show, QSC Ball, Queer Talent Show, Queer Sex Ed, Lavender Graduation.
Advocacy and Education
- Act as a representative and advocate on behalf of issues and concerns of the queer community, and advocate against homophobia, transphobia and other forms of oppression on campus and in the community.
- To create learning spaces for students to explore topics related to queerness, anti-oppression, power & privilege, and social justice.
- Examples include: social media, workshops, speakers, discussion groups, and awareness events.
- Serve as liaison to queer organizations on campus in the community.
- Inform students of services available on campus (including ASUW services) and maintain strong communication with all queer constituencies.